02 June 2008

the day we climbed a mountain :)

There were a few choices this past weekend for excursions...

I didn’t know which one would be the best.

So, I asked around and a lot of people had great things to say about Tepotzlan.

They said: “Oh, Emily it is so beautiful! You will absolutely love it!”

Me: “really? What do we do?”

They: “well, the town is in the mountains and you climb up to this place and it is just really beautiful… and there is a really neat flea marcado!”

Me: “Sweet! sounds cool.”

Why not? this was the cheapest excursion. only $20. sounds great!

Sunday morning we got on a bus and starting riding through the mountains…

We had a wonderful tour guide. He was so helpful and full of information about the history of the people of Mexico.

When we arrived at Tepotzlan we first went to the Monastery museum.


As we were looking out of the second story window of the museum...


the sweet Tour guide said, “Ok now we will start our journey up this mountain.”

Me and Zoë: “ How cool! What we are going to climb?”




um.


yea.

exactly what we thought.

THAT mountain! Are you out of your mind?

we found out quick that he wasn’t joking. we also found out it would take about 45 minutes to climp up and 45 min to climb down—and that is only IF you are in shape.

45 minutes seemed like a hopeful thought to me…and come to find out it was hopeful.


If you look closely at the picture I tried to circle the temple we climbed up to

Here is Zoë about halfway up :)





and me about 20 minutes up the mountain





it was so much fun i promise! dont concentrate on how extremely exhausted i look

we lost a few on the way up, but Zoe and I finally made it to the top!





lets just say we got a fantastic workout in, and i might just pick up mountain climbing in the future :)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

That a girl... way to do that. Real good.

juliette said...

LOOK AT YOU!

=)

that's so great! that sounds like an absolutely amazing adventure!
=) =)

Unknown said...

"Zoe and I climbed a mountain in Mexico!!" Repeat that a few times and feel how good it sounds! Congratulations! Keep on experiencing this. Sincerely and with love, Zoe's mom

Jenn said...

woo hoo!!!! go emily!!!

hey i got your message last night and almost cried. it was WONDERFUL to hear your voice.

i hope i get to talk to you next time you call.

i cant wait to see you and get a hug.

ps: yo quiero visitar una iglesia espanonla en la ciudad de columbus este domingo! te quiero!

SaraEaker said...

My little in shape roomate! I am so very proud of you! You know I would have never made it on that mountain with you...but the other night I speed walked through my neighborhood in dallas...i thought of you, I hope you are proud!!

I love you and miss you! I can't wait for you to come home!

The Arguellos said...

Hey Emily!!! How exciting! I remember when I went to Tepotzlan. I enjoyed it a lot. I don't remember the climb though. I bet I blocked it out of my memory!!! I've been thinking about you girls in Cuernavaca! Sending the love!

Amelia said...

¡Qué suerte para estar en México! Estoy en Costa Rica ahora y me encanta todo sobre latino América. Espero que todo sea bien. ¡Necesitamos reunirnos cuando yo vengo a Texas en el otoño para hablar sobre nuestras experiencias! ¡Dios me la acompaña!

Pura vida,
Amelia

Jenn said...

emily!

i cant wait to talk to you - yesterday i went to the spanish church in town! i was sola gringa in the entire place! it reminded me of what romania church felt like.


cant wait to hear your stories. miss you.

Claire Bellington said...

Emily, I would climb a mountain with you any day!