11 June 2008

a moment meant to live in.

well life is happening in Cuernavaca and come to find out life will continue to happen here for me until the 24th of June.

yep.

i'm not flying home this Saturday.

Oh what a moment today has been. A moment of coming face to face (yet again. oh why do I doubt?) that He knows when I sit down and when I rise up, that He understands my thought from afar, that He scrutinizes my path and my lying down, and is intimately acquainted with all my ways, that even before there is a word on my tongue, He knows it all-- these are moments built for me to dwell in, and to continuously live in.


I have made plans. remade plans. and yet again remade plans. (which should really teach me not to trust my planning so much) meaning I have changed my return flight ticket twice now, first thinking that I only needed to stay for 4 weeks because I found out I only needed two classes--therefore the logical thing to do would be cut my 6 weeks stay in Mexico short and make it only 4 weeks. and I'm a logical person, therefore I changed my ticket as soon as I found out this news. Then I very unexpectedly fell in love. with what I'm not entirely certain. I don't have a one liner answer but nevertheless I knew when I felt the stinging in my heart about a week ago that Saturday the 14th was not the day I would leave. reason? not really sure I have a reason, at least not a satisfactory one for my flesh at the moment. My flesh thinks I am slightly crazy. ok, really crazy. but then an opportunity landed in my lap. of course it would.


I will be volunteering at a local orphanage here in Cuernavaca. Sparing all the details, I spoke with the director on the phone on monday (in Spanish--very stretching experience) and she excitedly told me I am welcome to come and work and even possibly teach some english classes for the children. and. my heart burst.


new flight: June 24th. 10 more days in Mexico. I will be done with classes this Friday and start working at the orphanage as soon as i possibly can. please pray for this opportunity. I will be meeting with the director tomorrow at the orphanage, pray that the Lord would provide a situation for me to be used to spread his love to these children. pray for my emotions, my attitude, and my mind as these next few days pass and this all unfolds.


I am not sure if I understand faith as Jesus spoke of it. I claim that I cling to this 'faith' but in practice fall short of grasping what Faith is. I have heard of faith as jumping into the unknown, or as the definition Hebrews gives being sure of what we hope for and certain of things we do not see. I have heard many things about faith through the stories of Paul and of the desciples, but living and experiencing faith is rare it seems and difficult to identify. pray that the Lord would penetrate me with faith. faith in the hope of Christ, and faith that he is leading me.


In other news: classes have continued. I am becoming more comfortable with the language, but don't worry, I definitely still get the deer in the headlights look from several people a day. also, the dog around the corner of the block doesn't bark at me anymore when I go jogging. we have become friends, which is a great achievement because the 'block' takes me about 2 minutes to run around--therefore the dog really never would stop barking. but now I can actually hear my wonderful ipod music instead of the dog. I also have become addicted to limes. limes are everywhere and in everything. for instance, mayonesa and packages of peanuts. and anything you eat anywere, it is known that you will squeeze lime juice on it.



I want to share some fun pictures! I am glad and rejoice that my God has given his children life and life more abudantly. There are many stories tucked away in my mind that I desperately wish I possessed the ability to translate them into words...


enrique loves helado :)


um. yes. just about the cutest thing ever. i find myself in a awkward situation almost daily when I tell people how much I wish I had a little boy from mexico.



Girls night out! (plus Enrique)




Dinner at Chili's!


my obsession with the mumu continues...romeo i hope you like the one beautiful handmade one i'm wearing cuz it is coming home to you!





Zoe got her hair cut! and it's super cute!



so i didn't bring salsa shoes and, honestly, I enjoy the tennie shoe look much better. however, after walking out of my room like this , mi madre y hermana simply wouldn't have me salsa dancing in tennie shoes or anything other than heals...therefore I now borrow madre's black neutralizers for dancing--comfy and mom-ish but considering everyone else here is about 1ft shorter than me and wears a size 5 shoe they will have to work ;)


Our local friends took Zoe, Amanda, Samantha, and I on a trip to Tequesquitengo for a day at the lake!



and...Eric. mi primo. he is only smiling b/c i am jabbing him in the ribs, otherwise you would be getting his 'i'm very serious and never ever smile for the camera' face. he is our amazing cook, our comic relief, our movie watching and taco eating amigo, and has become one very dear friend.

and here is Zoe scaring Enrique with her Lucha(fight) Mask that she bought...ohhh I don't think Enrique has ever looked at us the same.
much love from cuernavaca friends and family.

hasta luego.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing and inspiring! Congrats on the extra 2 weeks in Mexico. What a blessing you will be.

Whats up with the mumu?!

Michael

blaire blanchette said...

I've have never been so upset to miss a phone call than i am now...

...we need to talk soon. I'm so excited for you!!!!

Anonymous said...

That kid is adorable, and that mumu is excellent.

Jenn said...

ah. i think you just called me. well you did yesterday and i got to my desk and was DEVASTATED. ah. man. i'm clipping that phone to my SKIN.

then this morning i thought you called - - -really i only thought that cause it was a weird number and ppl were speaking spanish. i yelled "EMILEEEE" but you didnt hear. ... if it was even you :).

ah i cant believe you are staying longer. I'm so excited for you. you look beautiful in your pictures - you are beautiful- and joy fills them.

praise the Lord that you get to love more kids - keep updating!

love you so much. your entry ministered to my heart on a hard morning ...

Claire Bellington said...

So i love how you call tennis shoes, "tennie shoes." oh emily I do miss you!

elizabeth said...

Emily!! I am so excited for you!! God has great things in store for you in the days ahead. Love God and the people with everything in you!! And, laugh alot!!

I love you, my beautiful daughter!!

Mom

The Arguellos said...

Emily,

I'm so excited for you! What a neat opportunity!!! God is good and I love hearing the things He's teaching you. Tell Samantha and Amanda I said hi! Isn't Cuernavaca amazing!?! :)

Julie

Whitney Swanson said...

EMILY!!!
sweet sweet friend
yes, I am alive :) I just cant motivate myself to sit down and write in my blog. but nowwwwwww you have convicted me of neglecting it...
i miss you so. i have thought of you soooo many times here. especially when dealing with njd (dyer)

im glad you're loving mexico. i LOVED spain! although we really didnt speak very much spanish- it was a little disappointing.

Emily, He has ROCKED my world this summer, and is continuing to do so. i cant wait to share EVERYTHING with you.

Brian comes on Sunday- please be praying for that....

there is so much to tell you.....

juliette said...

aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
i love that mumu!!! im SO excited!

and that kid is just adorable!

The Arguellos said...

Emily,
I think I found their website on-line and it has the church address. Sorry it took me awhile to get this to you. I was in a packing frenzy the past few days! :) But here is the link and if you have problems with it let me know.

http://www.semillacuerna.com/site/index.php

Also, Amanda wrote me! She's so sweet! Let her know I can't I don't have time to write right now but I will get back to her and I love her heart! Thanks!

Thinking of you and the other Cuernavaca travelers!

Love,
Julie