31 May 2008

taste and see

Whither shall I go from they Spirit? or whither shall I flee from they presence? (psalm 139:7)

There isnt a place that He isnt. The spirit of God, his presence is all around us, embracing us...waiting for us, waiting for me to recognize it.

this week has been a week of recognition. recognition that, surely the Lord was in this place and i knew it not. (i sympathize with jacob in genesis28). a recognition that every moment, every activity, every conversation is an oppotunity to taste and see that the Lord is good.

as i sit in a small cubby hole in the third floor laundry room of my sweet host family i have so much to say and so few words.

i can say that i have found joy in my experiences here. and i am grateful.

i can say that living in the reality God, of His eternity, regardless of where my physically body is has become my greatest desire.

i have met people who have developed into dear friends.

i have found that i absolutely love tacos.

i have seen and experienced the bus trip to the Silver capital of the World.

i have become an addict when it comes to anything salsa related. i have two weeks left and that means only 14 hrs/10 days left of salsa lessons. estoy muy emocionada (very excited, mom)

i have finished my Culture and Civilization class. in which i overcame a lot of fears relating to my spanish speaking abilities...and realized new ones.

i have found again that people, no matter what language they speak or what country they live in, are a lot alike.

i have a new appreciation for HEB :)

i have found i would much rather sit at home with the fam, than fall asleep at a discoteca with amanda at 5a.m. (dont worry mom we are safe and sound...just a little tired)

i have seen the hunger in the eyes of everyone around me for something more than this world.

i have found that the movie theaters in Mexico are much much better than ours back home. sitting in the VIP section with reclining leather chairs coupled with a swivel table with a freshly made crepe filled with nutella and peanut butter...all while watching Narnia (a fantastic movie by the way) is a grand experience.

i have gained a new new insight into history, and a hunger to learn more and more about the past.

i have realized yet again the nessesity for me to have an answer for the hope that i call my own.

I have found that His whole universe is alive with His life....

6 comments:

juliette said...

thanks for that beautifully written vagueness. =)

you perfectly hit the "let me give them a taste of what i'm experiencing so that they'll hunger for more" button

more of you. more of your experience. more of Who made you. and more of Him to experience.

its beautiful.

thank you.

and i remember you telling me about hamlet's 2 realities, but i don't really remember all the details. i hadn't thought of all that in my growth in that area that i just wrote about. . . but im sure my subconscious stored it and its part of this whole deal. ;)

Jenn said...

i love that.

2 weeks? wow. time is flying.


i got to talk about you at abby's wedding last night with some friends and tell them where you are!

cant wait for you to get back - and hear about it all. thanks for your updates. i always wait in anticipation of them!

Randy said...

Oh Emily, so beautiful. My heart is so full of thankfulness to my God. How good He is!!! I miss you so much but am so glad you are there experiencing God's goodness.

Eat some salsa for Dad and me. You know we would love to come there and experience just a litte of what you have.

We love you so very much

Mom

Randy said...

Howdy!!! So glad you are having a great expereince. Tell your host family I said "ola", HOWDY! How was church?

AND OH! YES! WHAT ARE YOU DOING AT A DISCOTECA AT 5 A.M.? Just a thought. Not a bad choice if you were looking to flee HIS Presence.....

We miss you and are glad you are having lots of fun. Hope you continue to experience the joy and we look forward to your presence in a couple of weeks.
Love DAD

emily said...

ha oh dad..it is Hola not Ola

and we went to celebrate our host sister's birthday, we just had no idea that they wanted to celebrate all night :)

love you.

Anonymous said...

Em :)

Mmmmmm


I miss you. So very much sweet girl. There are constant reminders of you all over up here and I am so thankful for that. I want you to know how much your sweet friendship can be tasted all the way from Mexico to New York.

I can already see some of the fruit up here. It is simply gorgeous. I wish I could take all the physical prescences of the people so close to my heart and place them with me, even if only for one night.

On you,
I am so happy to read your post. I'll have you know that I continue to go through the blog address Blaire sent me over facebook to get here. I still am not blog savvy but i savor your experiences. And I am eagerly await the times that you referred to earlier in your email where we can sit together and soak in so many of the shared experiences in Mexico. I can tell you that the 5am story is definately one of stark resemblence from 2 years ago. And I can more than definately agree that yes...God's sweet prescence is...everywhere :)

And also, yes I think the northerners up here could basically draw an accurate picture of what HEB looks like I've talked about it so much. So that made me smile.

the movies, I will admit too, are even better of a deal than CS texas. But I will say that despite the comfort of the leather, it is almost like watching a movie by yourself in those mexican v.i.p. theaters cause you are so far away from the person next to you....i think i'd prefer a couch anywhere, but they are quite nice if youve never tried them.

Tasco? The silver indeed is beautiful....hmm :)

and yes, no matter what...the differences that any two people may be able to come up with are far usurped by the enormity of our commonalities as human creations. I love that you are seeing that where you are and I am seening that where I am.

I am thankful that it is indeed a.... uni.verse.
and rhythmic in nature


I miss you.

And I cant wait to see your face,

I love you em,

Nells